Letter to parents/carers re: Starting back in September
1st September 2020
We are delighted to be welcoming all children from years 1-6 back to school tomorrow. New Reception children will start on Monday 7th (9 am-12 pm for the first week only). For many of you, the routine of school is just a distant memory. Please remember we are placing the child’s well-being at the centre of our thinking; acknowledging that the children will have had different experiences during the past 6 months. Norton School is a community; a family. Together we will make this transition back to school as smooth as possible.
Coming into school tomorrow:
As you know, from this academic year, we are fortunate to teach all children in single year group classes. During the summer break, a new classroom was built and this is where our year 5 children will be taught. All other children will be taught in the main school. Drop off time is flexible so, starting from tomorrow, children can be dropped off anytime between 8.30-9 am at the usual place (outside school premises by the gate). Members of team Norton will be waiting to help your child to their new classroom. Children can be collected any time between 2.45-3.15 pm. Again, team Norton will be on hand to bring your child/ren to you at the gate. We hope this will reduce congestion and limit the number of adults waiting at the gate at any one time.
Whilst the new building work is complete, we are still waiting for the fencing to be extended to include the area behind the village hall. We anticipate this being completed in the next few weeks.
Changes due to the pandemic:
We have been assured that it is safe for children to return to school and believe that school is the best and safest place for all our children to be now. We have conducted a thorough risk assessment in light of COVID-19 and have put in place changes to the school routine in order to minimise risk. A thorough risk assessment can be found on our school website. However, we would like to share the main points with you.
• Children will be taught, and spend the day, in their year group class or ‘bubbles’
• Lunches will be staggered and packed lunches (from home or provided by our school lunch provider) eaten in the classroom
• Please make sure that your child’s clothes are washed as regularly as possible and home hygiene routines are strict
• Hand sanitising and regular hand washing will be an important and regular part of our daily routine
• Only one adult to bring/collect a child from school (to minimise congestion) please
• Only adults from Norton staff to be on the school premises (to minimise risk)
• Due to the pandemic, please do not stay and chat at drop off and pick up times
• Please respect social distancing rules at all times to reduce the risk of contamination. The guidance is still 2m where possible, 1m (with masks) if this is not possible
Please phone the school or message your teacher if you have any queries.
We very much look forward to welcoming you all back.
Mrs Farren and Team Norton